The move from IPv4 to IPv6 routing addresses the growing need for additional public IP addresses. Today, each new device on the Internet is assigned an IP address, and the number of available IPv4 addresses is nearly depleted.
Support for IPv6 routing is important to securing the future of a network and is key when conducting business with governmental agencies, many of which have been mandated to switch from IPv4 to IPv6 as the Internet expands. One benefit of IPv6 is that if offers a new pool of IP addresses to ensure that there are enough available to facilitate this growing need and protect future investments. In addition to a vastly expanded address space, IPv6 offers a wide range of improvements, including:
- Security enhancements
- Stateless autoconfiguration
- Superior mobility
- Enhanced subnet address management
- Simplified network administration
- Built-in multicasting
- New QoS features
D-Link, the end-to-end networking solutions provider for business, offers switching solutions that take full advantage of IPv6 benefits. Our IPv6 solutions address a number of scenarios that demand next generation IP, including:
- U.S. Government and Education installations that mandate IPv6 capability
- Aggressive IPv6 expansion in Asia
- Increased prevalence of IP/cell phones
- Automobile navigation systems
- Neighborhood and community Wi-Fi and WiMax installations
- Emerging applications such as:
- New Internet-enabled wireless devices
- Home and industrial appliances
- Internet-connected transportation systems
- Integrated telephony services like VoIP and presence-aware communication
- Expansion of home networking technologies (appliances, media systems)
- Increased installations of "always-on" home networking via DSL or cable
We offer customers leading-edge equipment, comprehensive support and a clear path to the next generation Internet.
For more information about IPv6 and D-Link's flexible network migration strategies, please call 1-800-326-1688.